15 January 2015

Dichroic and PMC Snowflake Necklace

One of my most favourite pieces that I created at home was a combination of dichroic glass and PMC (Precious Metal Clay). I used the paper version of PMC that is absolutely brilliant. You can fold it into origami shapes (my Chinese throwing star will be another post), use it in a typewriter to add text (shown on the amphora necklace that I created for my sister in my previous post PMC (Precious Metal Clay) Certification Class), or even use craft punches to punch shapes in the PMC paper. 

In this case, I punched out snowflakes and used them in another project. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the leftovers until I saw a gorgeous piece of dichroic that seemed to need the PMC. 

To make sure that the PMC stays in place, you need to use the PMC paste (also called slip). It helps to mold the PMC onto the shape as well. 

When working with clay and glass, it's best to work the glass first (in my opinion) because it requires a higher firing temperature. I believe, but I don't know for sure since I haven't tried it, that you can fire the clay piece with the glass after the clay has already turned to metal but I'll have to experiment with that. For now, I recommend firing all the glass pieces first and then the clay. 

Be careful because there is shrinkage with the clay so if you're creating pieces with glass, leave enough room for the clay to shrink around the glass.




I know there are talented photographers that can capture the beauty and sparkle of dichroic glass but I, unfortunately, am not one of them.

I believe that this piece ended up with my sister who swore that she would provide fantastic advertisement for me. I think she held up her end of the bargain when I was able to go to her work and sell quite a few pieces.

The day that I fired this piece, I fired a few others in my kiln.


My turtle necklace didn't turn out quite as well as I would have liked but that's for another post. It was pretty good for my first attempt at home. =) 

No comments: